Colytonian Gala Dinner
On Saturday 12 January 2019, the Cottrill Hall was transformed into a venue to host 119 guests for our first ever Gala Dinner. With the hall adorned with ostrich feathers, balloons, archive material, and the school’s new plans for expansion, as well as many fantastic 1920s guest outfits, everyone celebrated 90 years here at the Colyford site.
Relocating to Colyford from Colyton arose in 1915, when the school passed as efficient and became eligible for a grant by the Government. The Board of Governors at that time started to look for new sites, but in the middle of war the Germans were at the gates of Paris and the Board decided to stay put in their current premises in Colyton. In 1921, Headmaster Mr Mackay Ohm decided to list the hindrances of the buildings to Devon County Council and (eventually) by 1927 building had started on the Colyford site. The first new purpose-built secondary school of the century in the County opened its doors to students on the 18 January 1929.
The event welcomed a student from the 1950s, a table full of school friends from the class of 1990, parents from every current year, as well as Neil Parish MP, Ernie Fox (former headteacher), staff, trustees and guest speakers Laurence and Catherine Anholt. It was a most enjoyable evening with music provided by Mr House and students. Many guests asked when the next celebration is planned!
The evening raised £1,340 for the school’s Annual Fund.