Tech in art drawing pad



Mr H Stone (SENCO)

Ms S Taylor (SEND Information and Support Officer)
Tel: 01297 552327  

At Colyton Grammar School all students are encouraged and supported to pursue excellence and to study to the best
of their ability. We want all students to be able to experience a feeling of success and achievement. All teachers are required to develop and adapt strategies which allow them to respond to a wide range of student needs.

The performance of all students is monitored on a regular basis, both within departments and across all subjects.
The SEND team liaise closely with the Pastoral team and Subject Departments. Appropriate support is identified for specific learning needs.

Where a student's learning requires a specific programme of support, parents are consulted. Each student with an Education, Health and Care Plan has a programme devised in liaison with support services and parents, and the programme is reviewed annually.

It is our policy that students with an Education, Health and Care Plan should be supported to at least the level of the financial grant received.

Our Special Educational Needs Policy and Information Report further outlines information with regards to implementation of our approach. (see link below)

Access for Disabled Students

The Accessibility Report is considered annually within the context of planning any new Capital Work. The school is committed to equal access for all students and where appropriate, entrance tests are modified. The Accessibility Plan is available in a printed format, and can be downloaded in the links below.

Key Information for Parents and Carers:

SEND Policy and Information Report 2023 - 2024 Accessibility Plan Further Information, Advice and Support

There is a lot of information available for parents or carers - below are some of the main contacts:

The Devon Local Offer

This gives children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their family’s information about what support services the local authority think will be available in their local area. This can be found at:

Devon Education and Families Special Educational Needs and Disability SEND Local Offer

Devon Information Advice and Support (DIAS) for SEND

DIAS has a dedicated team offering legally-based and easily accessible information and advice about special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). The team supports parents, carers, children and young people with SEND and the service is impartial and confidential. 



The Autism Education Trust 


National Autistic Society


British Dyslexia Association 

The information contained within this section looks at indicators of specific learning difficulties, as well as supporting your child both at home and within the education system to ensure that they achieve the best possible outcomes.

Eyes and Dyslexia / British Dyslexia Association On this page you will find information regarding: Visual Stress; Finding a specialist practitioner; Resources; Aids for visual stress, and; Further reading. 


The UK ADHD Partnership The ADHD FoundationYoung Minds Advice and support to parents of children with ADHD

About Dyspraxia / Dyspraxia Foundation A form of developmental coordination disorder (DCD) is a common disorder affecting fine and/or gross motor coordination in children and adults.

Dysgraphia Help – About Dysgraphia What is dysgraphia? The subtypes of dysgraphia. The causes of dysgraphia. How to identify dysgraphia. How can dysgraphia be overcome?

Hearing  and Visual Impairments and other Conditions

Disability charity Scope UK Help and information for the one in six people in the UK who have some degree of hearing impairment or deafness.

British Deaf AssociationVisual impairment / Disability Information on blindness and visual impairment and list of support organisations.

Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), one of the UK’s leading sight loss charities and the largest community
of blind and partially sighted people.

RNIBAsthma UK Diabetes UK

For Post 16 SEND students

Disabled Students Allowance - Welcome to GOV.UKThose with a disability or special need applying for university in the sixth form can apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). This covers some of the extra costs associated with issues such as mental health problems, long-term illness of any other disability. DSAs are awarded on top of other student finance and do not need to be repaid.